“But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.” – Acts 1:8
There is at this time over 7 ½ billion people who live on planet Earth. The vast majority of these do not know anything about Jesus Christ, the Bible or our God. What we, as Bible believers, have to deal with is this: Do we, as Christians, have any responsibility of making known to the other earth dwellers anything about our beliefs? If we don’t, then let’s forget it! What we believe isn’t really that important. It is just for our satisfaction and our own contentment. But if we do, then we must know what that responsibility is and what we are to do about it…
What is Missions? Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15; John 20:21; Luke 24:45-49; Acts 1:8
What is Faith Promise Missions?
What is a Missionary?
A Missionary is someone who has the call of God on their life to go to the mission field. They have said to the Lord, “Here am I Lord, send me.” (Isaiah 6:8) They have prepared themselves by going to a Bible college and training for the mission field. They have spent at least a year on deputation getting the support they need to go to the field God has called them to.
Why does a Missionary need money to get to the field? Why don’t they get a job and support themselves on the field?
A Missionary is considered a full-time Christian worker, and the job of winning the world to Christ will require a vast majority of a missionary’s time. Also, most countries will not let them into the work-force.
How old does a person have to be to be involved in Missions?
Everyone who is saved and knows it should be involved in Missions. Children should pray and ask God what He would have them do for Missions. Children should pray and ask God if they can be a Missionary for Him.
Where is my Faith Promise offering given?
Our Missions offering is given to the local church that you are a member of. When you put that in the offering plate, you have given it to the Lord. The Lord, through His church, decides how much and to whom the monies are distributed.
What do we need to do about Missions?
Three things we can do about World Missions:
- Ignore it – Just completely ignore all the Scriptures that deal with this subject.
- Explain it away – Come up with an explanation of the Scriptures that lets us off the hook.
- Believe it – Take the Bible at face value. Believing that Jesus said what He meant and meant what He said.
What most Baptist churches do:
- They believe it, or say they do and put forth a feeble effort at Missions work.
- They only get involved enough to say, “We give to missionaries and we believe in Missions.”
What we ought to do:
- Either completely reject it and go home; or Believe it with such an emphasis that we do as God has instructed us.
- We should believe this truth as we believe all other truths of the Bible, and then act according to that belief.
We often say we believe in Missions, but if we never share the Gospel or if we never put money in the offering plate for Missions, then do we really believe in it?